Friday, December 19, 2008

Featured Rescue - Dharma the Dachshund

When I went looking for a Dachshund in rescue to post as the Featured Rescue for today, I hadn't prepared myself for the alarming numbers of this breed to be listed as "No Kids, No Cats"!
Does anyone have experience with these dogs who can tell me why this is found more often with this breed than others? My initial reaction is the "Small Dog Syndrome". I have never owned one myself so therefore it is just a theory/opinion, but have seen this occur with others. What do you think?

Anyway, that aside, I have found a lovely looking dog called Dharma. She seems to do well with other dogs and is guestimated to be 2 - 3 years old.

2 comments:

LegendsLiveOn said...

I can tell you, it's most definitely Napolean syndrome. I own a mini dachsie, and even though he is a family pet, he does not like children outside of our family members. The thing with cats is, dachshunds have a HUGE prey drive, believe it or not. They'd fit better into the terrier group than they do in the hound group. Bentley has spent many hours searching for the "mousemouse" in the house (pesky little critters move right in during the cold weather), and will climb over, under, and through anything to get what they want. It's said that longhaired dachshunds are the friendliest, smooths are aloof, and wire-haired are calm and easily manageable. I have never met a dachshund who doesn't have a high prey drive, or one that is really too fond of children either.

Happy Howlidays!

-Legends and her mutts :) :)

DogsDeserveFreedom said...

Thanks for your comments Legends. It's interesting your view on the longhaird vs wires and smooths. It would make sense if with those physical traits came character traits.

Do you find that you have to give your Dachshund more physical exercise to meet and fulfill that Prey drive?