Friday, September 17, 2010

Book Review - Canine Sports and Games

I bought this book a few months ago and finally have finished reading it. I don't know how I found time to read it ... a few minutes here ... clean up after dogs ... a couple pages there ... work/sleep/eat ... a paragraph or two ... Anyway, somehow I did it. I read a book! I'd like to start including some book reviews since there are SO many books about dogs out there and it's hard to tell which ones to buy ... I've started reading a BUNCH of different books but I never seem to find time to finish them.



I bought this book, Caninie Sports & Games, because I wanted to read about some of the sports I can do with my dog. My perma-ACD is a very active gal and I would like to keep her busy (because a tired ACD is a non-destructive ACD! We nicknamed her "Destructor" for good reason).




I've heard about many dog sports but having never actually participated in any of them, I am not well-versed in the actual execution of any of them. (I've been asked a few times to join a fly-ball team with K and I'd love to do it but I just can't stand the incessant barking!)




This book was great for me. It explained each of the different sports in a separate chapter and with enough detail to give you an idea of what it is but not so much that you get confused. If you haven't a clue what you'd like to do but you want to do something, then this is an awesome place to start looking. This book is a stepping stone to help you choose which dog sports to tackle.



On the other side of this, if you want to know specific things about a sport, then you really should either join a class or get a book that is specific to that game/sport. This book does not get into detail for the different sports - it is simply an overview.

4 comments:

bichonpawz said...

GREAT idea! I think games are a great way of improving your relationship with your dog and keeping the dog occupied and happy!

Unknown said...

Would you be interested in a guest post with a book review now and then from myself? I read tons but like you, need to set aside time to really get it done. Will look for this book.
Thanks.

DogsDeserveFreedom said...

bichonpawz ... yes. they are a great way to strengthening your bond.

Roberta ... Sure!

bmwlover said...

I love playing games with my dog! You can tell it really improves our relationship :)