Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pupdates at the Shetler ~ Charlie

Well I have some good news! Ralph has been adopted! Yahoo! You go, ol' man! I have to admit, I was rooting for him. There's something about a 12 year old GSD at a shelter that makes my heart cry ... We still have Penny, Gracie and Charlie and apparently have 4 more dogs coming this week sometime. Penny isn't even listed as adoptable yet ... I will tell her story either later this week or next week. For today, I am going to tell you about Charlie ...




Charlie



At 6 months old, this guy has already been through a LOT. He was at his last home for only a week before they decided that he was too much energy (he was chasing their cat all over the house) ... before that, he stayed with a family for about a month. That family found him in a card board box covered in mange. They took him in, treated the mange with a local clinic, had his vaccinations administered and then rehomed him. We don't know any history before that ...



Charlie is a drama queen - and can you blame him?? If you touch or grab him the wrong way, he screams. You'd think you're killing him. He startles even the most steady of the volunteers with his theatrics.



He is a very chatty guy and will wow you with his "Beagle Bugle". He is mouthy and loves to get his own way ... but ... I do believe that deep down, he is going to be a really good dog. We are working through the mouth-i-ness and he is a lot better this week than last. I think he is stressed at the shelter and has too much energy to be cooped up in a kennel all day. Sometimes he just seems to forget his brain ...



Charlie LOVES to play fetch and will play with just about any toy. He seems to love everybody equally - there's no favourites here! Luckily, many of our volunteers will play fetch with him for a while, which seems to make him happy.



The picture to the right is him singing ... a-woo-woo-woo!! (I asked him to sit/stay and this is what he did!) He'll need someone who understands the breed or at least is willing to learn about them ... someone who will love him for who he is ... I shudder to think what would happen to a guy like this if someone took him home and didn't like his singing ... can you see a shock/citronella bark collar in his future? I hope not ...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Beagles can be drama queens. I had a very steady Beagle who would freak when I brought it the clippers for his nails. Charlie is a great dog - I am sorry he is so far away - Silverwalk LOVES dogs like this - even drama queens :). I will be praying for him.

GoLightly said...

YAY for Ralph, what great news! Thanks to his adopters1

Good luck, Charlie, what a cutie.

Honestly, what do people expect from their dogs, a stuffed animal has no energy. REAL dogs have lots and lots and LOTS!

Sharkbytes said...

Charlie sounds wonderful, and I love Beagle Bugles, but I'm not up for another dog right now, and Maggie would NOT enjoy sharing with a drama queen.

Aster Brittan said...

Charlie is soo cute. I wish I could adopt him. Have 5 already! I have always said should I ever win the lottery I would donate so much to the efforts of animal advocates.


Did you know that dog training can save the life of your dog, protect children from getting bit and avoid lawsuits? learn more about dog training...

http://www.gooddogtrainingreviews.com

Sarah said...

Hi there !
Sweet article :) Charlie looks adorable !
Really nice site, and great articles. Thank you I had a really good time reading all the articles and found many interesting advice.
Check out my site too (http://www.animali.tv/) about pets with updated articles !