Tuesday, August 10, 2010

News Reel - External Investigation into Ringworm Outbreak

I know many of you remember the Ringworm Outbreak at the York Region Branch OSPCA (in Newmarket, Ontario). I have blogged about it previously (here as a Featured Rescue and here as a News Reel). Many people were outraged that the OSPCA would decide to euthanize healthy animals simply because they share a building/shelter with infected ones. It is not a popular decision and it is not one that I condone. I do not believe the OSPCA needed to euthanize all the animals ... however we should all remember that the number of animals that were to be euthanized is but a drop in the bucket.



Below is a media release from the OSPCA. The organization is bringing in an external body to conduct a formal investigation about this whole thing. They do not have a date yet set for a follow up media release but I will be sure to let you know.



I think this is impressive. That an organization would allow an external investigation - that may potentially air out dirty laundry - is big news to me.



My personal opinion is that rescues should all work together (I know ... it's idealistic and unrealistic) and that even a body as big as the OSPCA has room for improvement. We all do. So why would we try to cover it up? Why not identify where the flaws are and fix them??



Check out the Media Release and let me know what you think ... what are your views on this??



Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals welcomes independent experts to review York Region Branch ringworm outbreak

No comments: