Wednesday, August 12, 2009

News Reel - Measure Your Dog's Smarts

This link was emailed to me yesterday so I printed off the article and went home to test my dogs. You know I totally wouldn't miss this opportunity!! If nothing else, it's something fun and different to do with the dogs and I'm always looking for something neat to do with them.


Measure Your Dog's Smarts


While my Border Collie/Aussie did quite well, the results weren't as promising for my Flat-Coat ... yep, he's a Dunce. Surprise, surprise. I knew that starting out. (Don't ask what my old lady got because at 14 she's retired.)


There is a problem with this test and my Flat-Coat was doomed to failure. Some of the tasks are contrary to the training I've done with him, for example, come when handler smiles - if he's in a sit/stay, he won't budge out of it. I've taught him that. (Note that this doesn't change the fact that he's a Dunce - we love him, but we knew this starting out - it only means that he didn't do very well with the scoring)


I suggest you take it home and try it with your dogs at home! If nothing else, it will be good for a laugh and some fun times with your canine companions. Let me know how it goes!!

4 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

This sounds like fun! We're going to get mom to test us!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

mytwh said...

Sadly,I know my Dominic, the pitbull, is a dunce. He can't even figure out a Kong. Really. Just doesn't get it. If something is too hard for him he just gives up and walks away. That's what he does with Kong's, Treat Balls, treats under the couch, etc. Just gives up. My Dunce.

GoLightly said...

Oh, my dogs are geniuses.

I wish I had an IQ that high!

My old roomie had a Flat-coat. Sweetest, dumbest dog I ever met.
Justabucketoflove.

Angus said...

I tried the test. I won't give you the results but suffice it to say that neither Wilf or Digby are going to come in the top ten. They had fun anyway.