Wednesday, July 28, 2010

News Reel - Delta police first in Canada to hire therapy dog

Further to my previous post about Therapy dogs, I found this great article about a therapy dog who just started working for the police department in Delta, BC.



If you wish to read the entire article, the link is Delta police first in Canada to hire therapy dog



Quite frankly, I'm surprised that this is only the first dog to be employed by the PD in such a fashion and I hope he is not the last. I had actually thought that therapy dogs were already working with the PD in their victims department.



What better way to help the victims? I have heard that children will sometimes tell their teddy bears (or other stuffed fuzzy) things that they won't tell anyone else ... will it work with dogs too?? Would they be more likely to talk to a dog?



And now that we're on this topic ... why wouldn't we use therapy dogs in places where they might be helpful? Hospitals, children's wards, orphanages, child services, halfway houses, rehab facilities ... the list of places where therapy dogs could be useful and help people is endless!



What do you think? Is there a possibility that we could extend this sort of service? Does anyone out there work with therapy dogs? Or anyone who would like to? Opinions? Thoughts?



Below is a book that is on my reading list ... that is to say ... the list of books that I wish to read when I have time (to read it) and money (to buy it) one day. I only ever have time to read one book at a time now-a-days.



2 comments:

Granite State Pet Sitting said...

I actually have a Therapy dog at work named Kona. She visits local nursing homes and hospitals, she is a great dog. One of my dogs is actually training to be a R.E.A.D.
Dog, she will work with children in a quiet setting, so they can read books to her and not be corrected.

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh that is so cool. Dogs are so very special..


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie