Thursday, January 7, 2010

CL ~ A Letter from an Animal Control Officer

Below is a Letter from an Animal Control Officer. A good read.
It is the other side of the Kill Shelter / Control Officer topic.



I am your animal control officer. I am not the dreaded "dogcatcher” or the “murderer” I’ve been called.



It is not I who allows your pet to roam the streets, to contact diseases from other free-roaming animals, to be hit by passing motorist or poisoned by rotting garbage. I am the one who must look into those sick, pain-glazed eyes, try to remove the animal without causing it further pain, and then humanely “put it to sleep” to end its suffering.



It is not I who allows your pet to breed, then dumps the unwanted puppies and kittens on the roadsides and in animal shelters. I’m the one who must find the tiny animals before they die of starvation, exposure or disease, and as a act of mercy, exterminate them.



It hurts me to be forced to kill hundreds of thousands of animals each year, but because of irresponsible people, I have no choice.



It is not I who abandons unwanted animals on farm roads, telling myself some friendly farmer will surely take them in and give them a good home. But I am the one who must pick up the frightened animal who waits in vain for its beloved master, wondering why it has been abandoned. I am the one who must help that friendly farmer trap, tranquilize or kill that animal because it has begun to roam in packs with other abandoned hungry animals, killing livestock, fowl and game.



I am not the one who breeds and fights dogs in the name of “sport.” But I’m the one fights the breeders and participants, and must pick up the dead and dying animals that have been left behind.



It is not I who keeps a pet confined in an area too small—without food, water, shelter or exercise. But I must deal with the irresponsible owner who does.



It is not I who refuses to spend time and money to keep up regular inoculations that pets require. But I am the one who must pick up the sick animal that is dying of a preventable disease.



So remember, the next time your child is bitten by a stray dog, your trash is dumped or scattered, your pet is lost or stolen, poisoned or hit by a car, it is the animal control officer you call—not the “dogcatcher.”



The next time your pet is picked up, or you are cited for neglecting or abusing it, remember, I am only trying to get you to fulfill your responsibility to your pet, your neighbor and yourself. Do not scorn me. Respect me, for I am the product of dog owners irresponsibility.



I Love Animals, and I care.

7 comments:

Quilt Works said...

This was hard to read, but true.

Hugs to your puppies, and tags for you!

Happy New year! I hope you had a good start to the year!


... Under the rainbow

Unknown said...

We are working very cooperatively with a number of area shelters including our local "kill" humane society - from whom I have a car chock full of Purina One food for my "no kill" sanctuary dogs. This is very powerful and too sad yet true. With your permission, I would like to post it in my online local newspaper blog.

GoLightly said...

Brilliant post, DDF.

The ACO is doing a job that needs done, thanks to the morons he lists.

applause to you for posting it!

DogsDeserveFreedom said...

Please do crosspost. Education is one of our best allies.

Jude said...

That is one job I would not want, those poor animals. Irresponsible pet owners really make my blood boil.

WillOaks Studio said...

That was so perfect and I wish everyone could read it! We've recently had our county animal control open a new shelter here, it's just beautiful and that's where I found my newest kitten...but I'm so sorry these kinds of places are just so full....

Marg said...

That is a wonderful letter and oh so true. It is so sad, the number of animals that are just dropped off. Yesterday I heard about 3 horses that were just wandering around and evidently had been just turned loose. The sheriff was called and the forest ranger and no one came forward to claim ownership. It is just awful.