Monday, January 12, 2009

Featured Rescue - Rafe and Redman the Rhodesian Ridgebacks

I find that this breed is quite difficult to rehab if under-socialized when younger (as we so often see in rescue). The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a breed that was developed for hunting Lions in a country in Africa called ... get ready ... Rhodesia.

While Rhodedian Ridgebacks (RRs) tend to be wary of strangers and a bundle of energy when they are younger, they are often quite laid back dogs as they get older. Regardless of their age, they are truly loyal to their family. I thought I'd post two RRs today - one older one and a younger one.

This is Rafe. He is a senior guy who is looking for a nice retirement home.
Age: 10
Gender: Neutered
Housetrained: Yes
Cats: Unknown, but likely yes
Children: Yes
Child Age: Any
The guy to the right is Redman. He's a smaller RR weighing in at only 50 - 55lbs, but that doesn't stop him. He's reportedly full of energy.
Age: 4
Gender: Neutered
Housetrained: Yes
Cats: Wary, but has been known to chase them previously

4 comments:

Billy (YES Casanova!!!) said...

Well I'm glad we aren't the only who are getting snow! It's never ending but then again it is January.

I found a little pekingese for a friend of mine through petfinder. We drove all the way from New Brunswick to the other end of New Hampshire to get him but it was well worth it. He is adorable and totally loving life up here.

I think petfinder is amazing, although my mom cries when she visits these sites at the sight of dogs who are treated unkindly and the fact that there are so many out there looking for homes. It makes me sad too.

I know we would have a house full of dogs if my mother had her way:)

BIG hugs and lots of love to you.

Billy Boo (and mom too:)

Your featured rescues are lovely:)

LegendsLiveOn said...

Thank you for trying to help a senior fnd a loving home. If I drove and had any more room, Redman would be on his way home.

Keep up the good work!

TorontoVet said...

Just a little FYI: Rhodesia is modern-day Zimbabwe.

Sully said...

My Rocko is a RR Boxer mix. He is SERIOUSLY the best dog EVER. He was a crazy pup, but after obedience training (very smart quick learner-me too) he is PERFECT. He will run and play and play and run, but he will also chill out in the house and just relax with us. I will definitely adopt a RR as my next shelter dog...or maybe foster one when Duke (check my page) finally finds a home.