I hope you all have been having a great time this weekend. It's a long weekend and like many other people, we are away for a few days. I am seeing a lot of dogs in the hotel this weekend.
I wanted to post some quick, point form tips for you and your dogs to remember when vacationing with your dogs.
- Don't keep your dog on an extenda-leash when in the lobby ... it is a real pain in theass to be trying to carry bags and figure out where rooms are with a little dog running out in front and tripping people
- Don't let your dog go up to everyone and say hello. There are people who don't like dogs and who are afraid of them - RESPECT their thoughts, fears and opinions. It's not like I'm putting a spider on your clothing against your protestations and telling you not to swat at it because she's "friendly"
- You are in an unfamiliar place and your dog may not feel totally comfortable asking to go for potty breaks. Make sure you take him or her out regularly to set them up for success and not for housetraining accidents!
- Ensure you have up to date information with your current phone number ON THE DOG. If your dog gets scared by a bus's airbrakes or something going off that it's not used to and takes off, you need to ensure he or she will find their way back to you.
- Barking dogs in hotels are just rude. If your dog is a barker when in an unfamiliar place, leave him at home until you've cleared that training hurdle.
- Remember, you are required to take the dog with you whenever you leave the room. That means you need to preplan everything you do to accomodate.
- HAVE FUN. You can get some good quality time in with your dog that will help you to strengthen the bond between you so go out, take your dog with you and have a great time!
Vacationing with your dog can be a fun and rewarding experience, but don't make it a negative thing for everyone around you. They are guests of the hotel too and have the right to enjoy their vacation just as much as you do.