Tuesday, March 31, 2009

News Reel - Marketplace and 20/20

CBC Marketplace put together a great documentary regarding pet store puppies. I watched it when it was on TV and I have to say, it was pretty good. I would strongly encourage people to watch it. For those who are interested, follow this link here to see more about it.

The Marketplace Report explains some of the details about puppy mills and pet stores by telling the story of a dog named Dinglehopper and his owner Michelle who fell for a pet store puppy. There were so many problems with Dinglehopper, some behavioural, many hereditary physical problems. Please take some time to read about him and the many different issues he and Michelle have had to cope with together. From what I can tell, March 25th, 2009 was the latest update on Dingle's health.

I was so pleased to see the CBC's documentary out after I got so frustrated and angry seeing the 20/20 documentary called Cruelty To Owners.

Here I am, wandering through YouTube and I happen across the 20/20 episodes (there are 2 parts to it). I don't want to publish the links because I don't really want to encourage it to be the most watched video on YouTube. I don't want their stats to go up. Watch at your own discretion. All you have to do is type in the following (or copy and paste) into Google and you'll find the links: "20/20 cruelty to owners youtube"

For those of you who choose not to watch the videos, I will give you a sum-up. I have to admit I did not watch the whole thing - I couldn't sit through it.

The documentary is about how animal rights organizations go in on suspected or reported cruelty cases (for example, a puppy mill or BYBer). The organization removes the animals for one reason or another and APS Officers Serve Orders. Then when the owners have complied with whatever orders they were given and the organization should give the animal back, it is found that the animal in question has been relocated. At that point in time, the animal rights organization is shown to be the bad guys because they are said to be profiting from the dogs.

I would love to tell those organizations to smarten up! Asshats. You may think you're doing the right thing but you MUST comply with the laws governing your state and you must not allow cases like this to come up. It looks bad on the rest of us that actually DO follow the rules.

Makes me want to ask the 20/20 guys what in the world they were thinking when they put that storyline together?! What a load of bad publicity (PR) for the SPCA and other animal rights organizations across the continent.

If the dogs are in need of medical attention or grooming ... If the dog hasn't been altered and they are neutered while in the care of said organization ... do you really think they are even coming close to breaking even? I can tell you that for the organization I volunteer, we lose money on every dog once you factor in all the costs.

As someone who works with the dogs removed from such situations ... give yourself a shake and smell the coffee!! Many dogs removed from BYBers and Puppy Mills have behavioural, psychological and physical ailments or problems.

The worst part? There really are some questionable animal rights organizations out there and these stories probably have some truth to them.

The Asshats are on both sides of the fence on this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog through looking at my website's referral sources. Thank-you for helping to spread the word about puppy mills and pet stores... and Dinglehopper's situation. I don't want others to feel the extreme guilt that I do... having contributed to the success of puppy mills.

- Michelle (Dinglehopper's owner)

DogsDeserveFreedom said...

Thanks for coming by Michelle. Any bit we can do to spread the word, the better in my opinion.

That's why I am so disappointed at that 20/20 video.

GoLightly said...

Last paragraph says it all.
Great post.